Bavarian International School
Inspiring Global Citizens and Future Game Changers
Bavarian International School (BIS) in Munich-Schwabing and Haimhausen: A School of the Future for 1,150 students from 60 nations
The guiding words, "Believe, Inspire, Succeed" shape the pedagogically rich and holistic education for the 1,150 students from 61 nations, aged 3 through to 18, who attend the Bavarian International School (BIS). An IB World School, BIS features two campuses, one in the village of Haimhausen (15 km north of Munich), and the other in MunichSchwabing.
Academic excellence, intercultural competence, collaborative learning and social responsibility characterise the spirit of this international school. In the challenging times of COVID-19, BIS blends its exemplary and well-balanced Distance Learning programme with robust onsite learning in accordance with state-mandated health guidelines.
170 teachers from 29 nations provide BIS students with an average student-teacher ratio of 7-1, allowing teachers to identify and accommodate the individual needs and strengths of each child. Evidence of the success of this approach include annual BIS student IB Diploma scores: in 2020 the average score was 35.8 points, well above the worldwide average of 29.9 (100% passing rate for IB DP and IB CP students). BIS exceeds international standards with state-of-the-art investment in interactive whiteboards, Apple TV's, and 1:1 programmes in grades 4-12 (iPads for Grades 4-6, MacBooks for Grades 7-12). Science and technology laboratories, art and design studios, sports halls, theater spaces, an auditorium and an extensive extra-curricular programme, all contribute to establishing BIS as an industry leader.
A Personalised Focus
"We provide our students with the intellectual, intercultural, social, emotional and, most importantly, with the critical perspectives they will need as adults in a global, technological world.
Our students will be able to solve the challenges of the future and make the world a better place," says Dr. Chrissie Sorenson, Head of School at BIS. Each child’s individual development is placed at the very centre of the educational focus at BIS. The school is well known for excellent student support, pastoral care, well-being, and university counselling.
With typically around 75% of students coming from international families, internationalism and diversity are embedded in the DNA of BIS. Complementing English as the language of instruction are German language classes offered from Grade 1 onwards for all proficiency levels, and French, Spanish, Japanese, and Mandarin beginning in grade 6. Currently offered in an additional 17 languages is an optional "Mother-Tongue Programme", which allows students to maintain and develop literacy in their native language.
Students and parents alike regard the multitude of extracurricular activities on offer as an exceptional feature of BIS. These activities include approximately 40 sports offerings over the two campuses, as well as CAS (Creativity, Activity, Service), the Model United Nations debate team, the Eco-schools project, the Duke of Edinburgh's International Award, and a mix of fitness, scouting and expeditions. The social engagement, interdisciplinary collaboration and the exploring of new horizons plays a particularly significant role in an educational environment.
Ticket to the best Universities
BIS is one of only two schools in Germany authorised by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) to offer all four IB programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme (DP) and the Career related Programme (CP). The IB Diploma is recognised by the best universities in Germany and the world.
Role Model for Distance Learning
The BIS is ideally prepared for situations such as the Corona crisis: Immediately after the necessary school closure, Bavarian International School opened as a virtual school. The highly praised Distance Learning Programme offers a set timetable from 9am to around 4pm, with tailored courses for each age group. The BIS pedagogical team attaches great importance to a fine-tuned balance between online and offline time and the inclusion of exercise, sport and social exchange. Sufficient face-to-face communication between teachers and students as well as between students themselves are further crucial success factors. In addition to continuous learning, the focus is on the health and well-being of the students.
Facts & Figures
- Founded in 1991 (anniversary of 30 years BIS in 2021)
- 2 campus locations: City Campus in Munich-Schwabing and Haimhausen Campus
- Approx. 1,150 students from 61 nations
- Approx. 170 teachers from 29 nations
- Private all-day school with extensive after-school activities
- Early Childhood (Kindergarten) from the age of 3 on both campuses
- Personalised, holistic education under the motto "Believe.Inspire.Succeed"
- 5 modern languages in the curriculum (English, German, Spanish, French, Mandarin) and 17 additional complementary languages in the Home Language Programme
- One of only two international schools in Germany that offers all 4 programs of the International Baccalaureate Organisation: Primary Years Programme (PYP), Middle Years Programme (MYP), Diploma Programme (DP) and Career-related Programme (CP)
- DP grade average 2020: 35.8 (worldwide: 29.9)
- 1:1 iPad programme in grades 4-6 and 1:1 Macbook programme in grades 7-12
- Specialised teachers for Educational Technology and an IT team including a helpdesk
- Exemplary Distance Learning Programme (e.g. for in situations such as the corona crisis)
- Extensive extracurricular program with 80 different activities per week
- Social, community and political programmes such as CAS (Creativity, Activity, Service) and SA (Service as Action), Model United Nations, Eco-schools project, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award
- A team of counsellors responsible for individual university and career advice
- Support programs for new students (including English as an additional language, welcome events, newcomer center)
- Experienced mentors, counsellors, psychologists and nurses on both campuses
- Committed, connected BIS community, including the Parent Teacher Organisation (PTO)
- School bus transport available for both campus locations
Special features of BIS at a glance
- Two campuses in Munich and Haimhausen
- International all-day school
- Students from 56 nations
- IB World School with all 4 IB programs: PYP, MYP, DP and CP
- Early Childhood program from age 3 at both campus locations
- 6 modern languages in the curriculum + 17 languages in the Mother Tongue program
- Educational Technology: 1: 1 program with iPads (grades 4-6) and MacBooks (grades 7-12)
- Learning support, wellbeing and newcomer programs
- Extensive after-school activities
- School Bus Transportation
Caring & excellence
- Academic excellence: BIS offers all four programs of the International Baccalaureate Organization: Primary Years Program (PYP), Middle Years Program (MYP), Diploma Program (DP) and Career-related Program (CP)
- Individual education of each child in the focus (teachers, mentors, pastors, academic and psychological counsellors, nurses)
- Caring, attentive, warm and friendly atmosphere
- 6 modern languages in the curriculum (English, German, Spanish, French, Japanese and Mandarin) plus 17 additional languages in the so-called "Mother Tongue Program"
- 1: 1 iPad program in grades 4-6 and 1: 1 MacBook program in grades 7-12 with specialized instructors for educational technology for each school section
- Social and political programs, such as CAS (Community, Action, Service), Model United Nations, ECO-School, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award
- Support programs for new students (including, for example, learning aids, English as additional language, welcome events, newcomer centre)
- Individual university and career counselling
- School bus transport for both campus locations
School hours and care times:
School: Monday - Thursday 09:00 - 16:00
Friday 09:00 - 14:20
After School Activities: Monday - Thursday 16:10 - 17:25 Friday 14:30 - 15:45
City Campus Munich:
School: Monday - Thursday 08:20 - 15:20
Friday 08:20 - 13:40
After School Activities: Monday - Thursday 15:30 - 16:30 Friday 13:50 - 14:50
After-School Care Club (Primary Schools only):
Monday - Thursday 15:30 - 18:00 Friday 13:50 - 17:00
In the Early Childhood Centre (age 3-5) the maximum class size is 22 students, as of Grade 1 the maximum class size is 24 students. In grades 11 and 12, the maximum class size is only 18 students.