Bavarian International School
The school of the future, today
Bavarian International School (BIS) in Munich and Haimhausen
Around 1,150 students from 61 nations attend Bavarian International School (BIS) in Munich-Schwabing and Haimhausen. The private all-day school offers children age three years old through Grade 12 a personalised, holistic education under the motto "Believe. Inspire. Succeed". Intercultural competence, innovative learning and academic excellence characterise the spirit of BIS, which follows the globally recognised International Baccalaureate (IB). Thanks to its leading role in technology and conceptual thinking, BIS is able to offer an exemplary Distance and Hybrid Learning programme during the COVID-19 pandemic.
"We provide our students with the intellectual, social, emotional and above all critical perspectives they need as adults in a global, technological world. The pedagogical focus is always on the individual development and potential of each child – even at the Early Childhood stage from three years old, with preschool and elementary school," says Head of School Dr. Chrissie Sorenson.
BIS is home to 170 world-class teachers, from 29 nations. BIS students achieved an IB diploma grade point average score of 36 (with 100% passing rate), well above the global average of 31 (81%).
The Bavarian International School stands for state-of-the-art education. Design and Educational Technology have been an integral part of the curriculum for many years. BIS students learn and collaborate with interactive whiteboards and Apple TV's, iPads (1:1 programme in grades 4-6), MacBooks (1:1 programme in grades 7-12), laboratories for science and technology, studios for creativity and art. Global citizenship, international perspectives and valuing diversity are part of the DNA of BIS. While English is the school's official language, German, French, Spanish and Mandarin as well as 17 other languages are taught in the home language programme.
BIS is known as a caring community, which invests in developing all aspects of a child. The school offers learning and language support, as well as mental health counseling onsite at both campuses. More than 400 students take part in around 80 different extracurricular activities, each week.
BIS is an IB World School, authorised by the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO). With 30 years of experience (1991 - 2021), BIS is shaping the future of education and fostering growth and potential for students living in the Munich area. Students graduate with one of two IB Diploma degrees recognised by the best universities in Germany and the whole world.
Facts & Figures
- Locations: Munich-Schwabing and Haimhausen (15 km north of Munich)
- Foundation: 1991 (30 year anniversary in 2021)
- School type: International School (IB World School), private all-day school incl. Early Childhood Centre ("Kindergarten 2.0"), pre-school, primary school (grades 1-5) and secondary school (grades 6-12)
- Program: International Baccalaureate Programme (IBO) curriculum, offering all four IB programmes (PYP, MPY, DP, CP)
- Students: 1,150 from 61 nations
- Teachers: 170 from 29 nations
- academic excellence (In 2020, BIS Grade 12 students scored an IB-DP average of 36 and 100% passing. Worldwide the average DP score was 31, with 81% passing) - 5 modern languages in the curriculum and 17 languages in the home language programme
- technological frontrunners: 1:1 programs with iPads, MacBooks, specialised educational technology teachers, helpdesk and IT team
- extensive extracurricular program (80 offerings per week)
- social and political programmes such as CAS (Creativity, Activity, Service), Model United Nations, Eco-School, The Duke of Edinburgh ́s International Award - comprehensive counseling, support and language programs
- nurses and school psychologists at both campuses
- school bus transportation at both campuses
- school meals provided by ORGANIC GARDEN
- 1:1 iPad programme in grades 4-6 and 1:1 Macbook programme in grades 7-12
- Specialised teachers for Educational Technology and an IT team including a helpdesk
- Exemplary Distance Learning Programme (e.g. for in situations such as the corona crisis)
- Extensive extracurricular program with 80 different activities per week
- Social, community and political programmes such as CAS (Creativity, Activity, Service) and SA (Service as Action), Model United Nations, Eco-schools project, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award
- A team of counsellors responsible for individual university and career advice
- Support programs for new students (including English as an additional language, welcome events, newcomer center)
- Experienced mentors, counsellors, psychologists and nurses on both campuses
- Committed, connected BIS community, including the Parent Teacher Organisation (PTO)
- School bus transport available for both campus locations
Special features of BIS at a glance
- Two campuses in Munich and Haimhausen
- International all-day school
- Students from 56 nations
- IB World School with all 4 IB programs: PYP, MYP, DP and CP
- Early Childhood program from age 3 at both campus locations
- 6 modern languages in the curriculum + 17 languages in the Mother Tongue program
- Educational Technology: 1: 1 program with iPads (grades 4-6) and MacBooks (grades 7-12)
- Learning support, wellbeing and newcomer programs
- Extensive after-school activities
- School Bus Transportation
Caring & excellence
- Academic excellence: BIS offers all four programs of the International Baccalaureate Organization: Primary Years Program (PYP), Middle Years Program (MYP), Diploma Program (DP) and Career-related Program (CP)
- Individual education of each child in the focus (teachers, mentors, pastors, academic and psychological counsellors, nurses)
- Caring, attentive, warm and friendly atmosphere
- 6 modern languages in the curriculum (English, German, Spanish, French, Japanese and Mandarin) plus 17 additional languages in the so-called "Mother Tongue Program"
- 1: 1 iPad program in grades 4-6 and 1: 1 MacBook program in grades 7-12 with specialized instructors for educational technology for each school section
- Social and political programs, such as CAS (Community, Action, Service), Model United Nations, ECO-School, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award
- Support programs for new students (including, for example, learning aids, English as additional language, welcome events, newcomer centre)
- Individual university and career counselling
- School bus transport for both campus locations
School hours and care times:
School: Monday - Thursday 09:00 - 16:00
Friday 09:00 - 14:20
After School Activities: Monday - Thursday 16:10 - 17:25 Friday 14:30 - 15:45
City Campus Munich:
School: Monday - Thursday 08:20 - 15:20
Friday 08:20 - 13:40
After School Activities: Monday - Thursday 15:30 - 16:30 Friday 13:50 - 14:50
After-School Care Club (Primary Schools only):
Monday - Thursday 15:30 - 18:00 Friday 13:50 - 17:00
In the Early Childhood Centre (age 3-5) the maximum class size is 22 students, as of Grade 1 the maximum class size is 24 students. In grades 11 and 12, the maximum class size is only 18 students.
Bavarian International School