Bavarian International School
Inspiring Global Citizens
Top-notch Munich Locale: Bavarian International School educating 1,200 students from 56 nations
1,200 students from 56 nations study at the Bavarian International School gAG (BIS) between the two campuses located in the village of Haimhausen and Munich city. The motto, "Believe. Inspire. Succeed", shapes the pedagogically rich and holistic education the students, aged three through to 19, receive from this institution. Intercultural competence, collaborative and inspirational learning, respect, social responsibility and tolerance; this is what characterizes the spirit of this accredited IB World School.
170 teachers from 29 nations provide BIS students with an exceptional 7.5:1 teacher-student ratio that allows teachers to identify and accommodate the individual needs and strengths of each child. The tangible proof of this successful approach is seen each year in BIS students’ IB Diploma scores. In 2019 the average score was 34.3 points; well above the worldwide average of 29.7. Bavarian International School strives for state-of-the-art school standards by investing in interactive whiteboards and Apple TV's, iPads (1:1 programme for Grades 4-6), MacBooks (1:1 programme for Grades 7-12), science and technology laboratories, art and design studios, sports halls, theatre spaces, an auditorium and an extensive extra-curricular programme.
A Personalised Focus
"We provide our students with the intellectual, intercultural, social, emotional and, most importantly, with the critical perspectives they will need as adults in a global, technological world. Our students will be able to solve the challenges of the future and make the world a better place," says Dr. Chrissie Sorenson, Head of School at BIS, Germany's third largest international school. "Each child's individual development is placed at the very centre of the educational focus at BIS."
Internationalism and diversity are truly the intertwined, double-helix DNA of this school. The language of instruction is English, however German language classes are offered from Grade 1 onwards for all proficiency levels. Starting in Grade 6, French, Spanish and the optional “Mother-Tongue Programme” allows students to maintain and develop literacy in their native language. Mother-tongue learning is currently offered in 17 languages. Merely 25% of the students are German natives, meaning the remaining 75% come from international families.
Pupils and parents alike regard the multitude of extracurricular activities on offer as an exceptional feature of BIS. These activities include approximately 40 sports offerings over the two campuses, as well as CAS (Community, Action, Service), the Model United Nations debate team, the Eco-School project, the Duke of Edinburgh's International Award, a mix of fitness, scouting and expeditions. The social engagement, interdisciplinary collaboration and the exploring of new horizons plays a particularly significant role in an educational environment, according to Dr. Sorenson.
An IB World School
BIS is one of only two schools in Germany authorised by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) to offer all four IB programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme (DP) and the Career-related Programme (CP). The IB Diploma is recognized by the best universities in the world, including more than 700 universities across approximately 70 countries with Germany among them.
The portability of the IB curriculum is a key factor for international families who relocate often. For globally mobile expat specialists and executives who relocate on average every three years, the smooth transition of their children from school to school is an unmitigated priority. The BIS Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) provides a welcoming embrace to new families and help them to settle in. The Newcomers Centre offers an intensive language support for students arriving with minimal English skills in a safe environment.
Special features of BIS at a glance
- Two campuses in Munich and Haimhausen
- International all-day school
- Students from 56 nations
- IB World School with all 4 IB programs: PYP, MYP, DP and CP
- Early Childhood program from age 3 at both campus locations
- 6 modern languages in the curriculum + 17 languages in the Mother Tongue program
- Educational Technology: 1: 1 program with iPads (grades 4-6) and MacBooks (grades 7-12)
- Learning support, wellbeing and newcomer programs
- Extensive after-school activities
- School Bus Transportation
FACTS & FIGURES
One school, two campuses
- Founded in 1991 (30th anniversary of BIS in 2021)
- 2 Campus locations: City Campus in Munich's Leopoldstraße and Haimhausen Campus
- About 1,200 students from 56 nations with 44 different mother tongues
- Around 170 teachers from 29 nations
- Private all-day school with extensive after-school activities or after-school care (primary school)
- Early Childhood at both campus locations as of the age of 3 years
Caring & excellence
- Academic excellence: BIS offers all four programs of the International Baccalaureate Organization: Primary Years Program (PYP), Middle Years Program (MYP), Diploma Program (DP) and Career-related Program (CP)
- Individual education of each child in the focus (teachers, mentors, pastors, academic and psychological counsellors, nurses)
- Caring, attentive, warm and friendly atmosphere
- 6 modern languages in the curriculum (English, German, Spanish, French, Japanese and Mandarin) plus 17 additional languages in the so-called "Mother Tongue Program"
- 1: 1 iPad program in grades 4-6 and 1: 1 MacBook program in grades 7-12 with specialized instructors for educational technology for each school section
- Extensive extracurricular program including 40 sports courses per week
- Social and political programs, such as CAS (Community, Action, Service), Model United Nations, ECO-School, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award
- Support programs for new students (including, for example, learning aids, English as additional language, welcome events, newcomer centre)
- Individual university and career counselling
- School bus transport for both campus locations
School hours and care times:
School: Monday - Thursday 09:00 - 16:00
Friday 09:00 - 14:20
After School Activities: Monday - Thursday 16:10 - 17:25
Friday 14:30 - 15:45
City Campus Munich:
School: Monday - Thursday 08:20 - 15:20
Friday 08:20 - 13:40
After School Activities: Monday - Thursday 15:30 - 16:30
Friday 13:50 - 14:50
After-School Care Club (Primary Schools only):
Monday - Thursday 15:30 - 18:00
Friday 13:50 - 17:00
In the Early Childhood Centre (age 3-5) the maximum class size is 22 students, as of Grade 1 the maximum class size is 24 students. In grades 11 and 12, the maximum class size is only 18 students.
For further information please visit us on our BIS website.